Dear Stock Photo Sites (Photographers and Models:)
Independent authors and small publishers are using stock photo sites for cover art images more than ever before. But for some reason, the sites, even ones who say they have art for romance covers, don’t have a clue what romance covers should look like.
Please, Stock Sites, Models and Photographers, Take these tips, please!
1. We don’t want the models staring into the camera. It’s creepy.
2. We don’t want the models smiling or grinning. It’s creepy.
3. Cops, Firefighters, FBI, undercover agents, soldiers, billionaires and other heroes in romance novels never wear trench coats or official jackets over bare torsos. Never!
4. Heroines in romance novels don’t dress in hoo-hah high skirts and bare-midriff or halter tops for every day attire.
6. Most heroes in romance novels don’t have curly mullets these days. Seriously!
7. Most heroines in romance novels don’t stare at the camera as if it’s about to ravish them.
8. Heroes and heroines in romantic suspense novels don’t brandish a toy gun while grinning foolishly.
9. No romance hero should have bigger boobs–uh– pecs than his heroine.
10. It’s hard to take a vampire hero, heroine or villain with plastic teeth seriously.
These are just a few observations. Authors, please add more. 🙂 Meanwhile, I’m still searching for a great pic for my new book, Shadow of the Cat, coming soon.